Pets can be incredible companions, but they can also be a pain in the rear. Anyone who has ever had a pet – especially a puppy or kitten – understands the struggle of having them in every aspect of your business. Fortunately for you, Move For Free has provided five easy ways to pet proof your apartment for rent.
- Hide dangerous items: This one should be a given, but the term “dangerous” is very subjective. For instance, you clean your toilet regularly (I hope). The chemicals in that cleaner could be extremely dangerous if your cat drinks from your toilet. Make sure the lid stays closed. Also, any kind of cleaner, bug spray, or medication you may have lying about should be hidden away in a cabinet.
- Use childproof latches on cabinets and drawers: This may seem like a stretch, but you should never under estimate the cleverness of your pet. If they’re curious enough, they will figure out a way to get it open. Buying childproof latches to keep your pets away from the harmful stuff you keep in the cabinets could save you a lot of trouble – and potentially your pet’s life.
- Relocate your plants to higher ground: Depending on what kind of plants you have in your apartment determines whether they could be poisonous to your pet. Cats love to chew on the leaves of plants, so if you can move the plant to a location that makes it difficult for your cat to gain access, it will avoid any disastrous situations.
- Keep your nice items behind closed doors: That expensive pair of shoes you own or your favorite belt has no value to your pet than as a chew toy. If you want to keep them in pristine condition, then keep them in a place where little claws and teeth can’t get to them.
- Be vigilant: This is the biggest one of all. If you take a second to check behind you or glance in your washing machine before you close the lid, you will avoid many of the mishaps that come with having a pet. These tips and tricks are helpful, but ultimately it’s your responsibility to keep track of your pet and make sure they’re where they should be.
If you stick with these suggestions, your apartment and your pet should remain in tip-top shape!